Heavy on Fashion talks to The Creators of Préparatoire Clothing



Hello all my fashion divas and gurus! I am so happy to have the chance to interview the fabulous ladies behind The Creators of Préparatoire Clothing. Bernadette Jeudy, Darnie Tranquille, and Roxanne Walton started a fabulous fashion line geared towards boys with a great sense of style. From fabulous tailored jackets to expressive color tones pants, Préparatoire is a great way for your mini fashion gurus to look his best on any occasion.
So without further ado, Here is Heavy on Fashion talks to The Creators of Préparatoire Clothing!





Tell me a little about yourself. Where are you from? What's your educational background? 
As a partnership of three people, we have a vast background. Bernadette Jeudy, CEO, is from Haiti with a background in Real Estate and Corporate Finance. She has a BA in Business Management and a Master’s in Organizational Leadership Management.  Darnie Tranquille, VP of Marketing, is also from Haiti but grew up in the states. Her background is in product/brand management and human relations. Darnie has her BA in Business Administration with a Master’s in Business Administration. As the VP of Marketing, Darnie brings in a wealth of experience to assist with the marketing function of the business. Roxanne Walton, from Jamaica, is the creative Director with a BA in Fashion Design.  Her background is in Fashion Design.



How did Préparatoire come to be?

Bernadette: I went to shop for an outfit for a special event for my 7 year old nephew. I had to go to three different stores to find one complete outfit. This experience took me back to the old days (of young boys dressing up in tailored pieces; I noticed there was a lack of options of quality and fashionable clothing available for boys. That is when I decided to come up with a clothing line for boys from 3 to 10.



When did you realize you wanted to become a fashion designer? 
Bernadette:  I was very curious as a child and had an inquisitive mind. I loved to write stories and always loved fashion. Ever since I was a young girl, I always took risk with fashion. I played with colors to come up with my most interesting outfits. I never followed the norm, I had my own style that made people stare (whether positive or negative); I owned my style and was true to my own creativity. I don’t keep up with trends; I wear what looks good on my body! The idea of Préparatoire came to mind when I went shopping for an outfit for my nephew

Roxanne: ­­­As a child I was always very creative. Designing was something that came to me naturally which in turn allowed for the development of this passion and drive I have for fashion design today. I was an extreme introvert and the innate abilities that I possessed became my outlet for which I expressed myself. Never having much as a child I became very resourceful when designing/creating: from cardboard box sandals to paper napkin Barbie doll dresses.  That way of thinking has not left me to this day: I can turn a tasteless piece of upholstery fabric into a one-of-a-kind high fashion coat.

Darnie: Ever since college, I had been putting fashion shows together and had invested time in the fashion world but I didn’t think of starting a boys’ line until Bernadette called me to discuss the possibilities of creating one together.

What is your favorite part about being a fashion designer? What is your least favorite part about being a designer?
Bernadette: My favorite part is seeing the sketches come alive! The exorbitant cost of putting a line together is my least favorite part.
Darnie: My favorite part is seeing the many styles and designs that are created in the line for each season.  The collaboration of creativity is amazing. Actually, I don’t have a least favorite. I enjoy the daily challenges which encourage me to strive even more.
Roxanne: I enjoy the whole experience from sketching to creating the whole line.
What was the first article of clothing you ever designed?

We collaborated and came up with lots of pieces (shirts, pants, ties, shorts, etc.) and from those pieces; we added unique features to them to create the actual pieces. Our favorite piece is the Tyler Offset Wool Coat.




What do you like best about designing clothes?
We enjoy that we all have unique creative thoughts that we can add to each piece to form the collection.

What advice would you give any budding designers?  
“Work as a team and persevere to make it work in the industry.”
Describe the Préparatoire boy?
He is between the ages of 3 to 10 year old. He is a little charismatic boy, who is discovering his sense of style.  He's a young man who is sharp; he wears soft blush colours pairing solid fabric. He is happy about dressing up, and he is always ready for whatever the occasion; whether the park, school or a black tie function with his parents. He cannot be called vintage or new age, because Préparatoire boy wears what every boy of every decade should wear. He appears confident, approachable and very happy!


If you had the chance to dress *anyone* who would it be.. Who do you think is the most stylish person around?
Bernadette: I find Victoria Beckham very stylish; however, since this is a children line, I would love to dress Kiyan Carmelo Anthony. He will look great in Préparatoire!

 I would like to thank the lovelies at Préparatoire for their time and the fabulous interview.

Check out more from Préparatoire at http://www.preparatoireusa.com/

(Photos Courtesy of Préparatoire) 


Comments

Popular Posts