Heavy on Fashion Talks to Diane Carleton of FIGI Jeans

Photo Courtesy of FIGI Jeans 

Hello all my Fashion divas! I am so happy to bring you a exclusive interview with Diane Carleton, creative director and designer of FIGI Jeans. FIGI Jeans inspired by contemporary artists including, John Rossi. I loved the use of unconventional patterns and colors to make this jean collection not only unique but also stylish.

So without further Ado, Here is  Heavy on Fashion Talks to Diane Carleton of FIGI Jeans 




Tell me a little about yourself. Where are you from? What's your educational background? 
Diane Carleton: I grew up in a small town near Saratoga Springs, NY, which is on the Vermont border. I graduated from the Fashion Institute of Technology in Manhattan with a degree in Fashion Design and a B.S. in Apparel Production Management.

How did FIGI come to be? 
Diane Carleton: It was an idea born out of wanting to help a particular artist, John Rossi, continue to create art by finding another revenue source. John’s artwork which frequently incorporated parts of clothing, particularly jean panels, led to the idea of a collaboration with Art + Fashion. Since I have an extensive background in denim, I was contacted and with further dialogue we decided we would like to broaden the opportunity for more contemporary artist.

Photo Courtesy of FIGI Jeans 

When did you realize you wanted to become a fashion designer? 
Diane Carleton:  Since I was young I was drawn to a career in an art field. When I was very young I thought I would become an architect but around fifteen I decided it was fashion design that really appealed to me and never looked back.

What is your favorite part about being a fashion designer? What is your least favorite part about being a designer? 

Diane Carleton: I’m not sure if my favorite part is choosing fabrics or sketching new designs, but it is one of these. My least part is reviewing spec (specification) packages for errors. Each season a designer creates for each design that will be made into a sample a package that tells exactly how it will be made with measurements, instructions on how to sew it, list of all materials and sketches. These are very detailed. Prior to sending them off to have samples made you must proofread which can be tedious.

Photo Courtesy of FIGI Jeans 
What was the first article of clothing you ever designed? 

Diane Carleton: When I was a young girl, I would play with my younger sister, Elaine, a game of designing evening gowns in our heads. We would say I’m wearing this and describe it in detail. The first design I actually made was a dress at F.I.T. where we had to take some pretty unattractive fabric and try to make something good out of it.



What do you like best about designing clothes?
Diane Carleton: I love to create new designs and can do it almost endlessly. What do you dislike about designing clothes? I worry about our resources and would like to make clothes that people would wear longer.


What advise would you give any budding designers? 

Diane Carleton: Be true to your aesthetics. What you have to offer is different than every other designer, so design what you think is right for your customer.

Photo Courtesy of FIGI Jeans 

How has the art world influence the FIGI brand? 
Diane Carleton: The influence is heavy as almost every piece is derived from current artwork of a contemporary artist. I start the design process by sitting in an artist studio viewing hundreds of works of art. Do you see a collaboration with any artist in the future? I do and have a few artist that I am considering for another collection.

Describe the FIGI woman? 
Diane Carleton: The FIGI woman engages in the world expressively through creative, inquisitive and compassionate avenues. She supports others in their expression through their art, as well.

If they had the chance to dress *anyone* who would it be.. who do they think is the most stylish person around?
Diane Carleton: I find this to be a different person each day. I discover the most stylish person while browsing in an art gallery or at a local cafĆ©.

Photo Courtesy of FIGI Jeans 


Where do you see Figi jeans in 10 years? 
Diane Carleton: In 10 years, we imagine FIGI Jeans to be a lifestyle brand that has expanded the product line and created a revenue stream for dozens of contemporary artist. We see FIGI Jeans giving an opportunity to connect artist with patrons creating a beautiful relationship.

Finally, What does fashion mean to you? 
Diane Carleton: Fashion is an opportunity to express one’s self. I find this very joyful and hope to pay it forward.


I would like to thank Diane Carleton, creative director and designer of FIGI Jeans, for the interview.
Please be sure to check out FIGI Jeans at 
http://www.figijeans.com/
and FIGI Jeans on FB and twitter 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/figijeans
Twitter: https://twitter.com/figijeans

P.S: Use the code HeavyonFashion and get 40% off your order at www.shopfigijeans.com.

Comments

  1. Thank you Heavy on Fashion. To all your followers put in code HeavyonFashion and get 40% off your order at www.shopfigijeans.com.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Do not post spam. Engage and have fun! Thanks again for leaving a comment on Heavy on Fashion.