Heavy on Fashion talks to Karina Iskin, Founder, ISKIN Contemporary Jewelry

Photo courtesy of ISKIN contemporary jewelry



Hello all my fashion divas and gurus! I am so happy to bring in the new year with a ne jewelry collection ISKIN Contemporary Jewelry. Established in Buenos Aires in 2004, ISKIN was created by Gabriela & Karina Iskin, two sisters with a mutual goal: To create unique jewelry pieces for the modern day woman. Heavy on Fashion reently interviewed on of the creators of ISKIN, Karina Iskin about all the details on ISKIN! 

So without further ado, Here is Heavy on Fashion talks to Karina Iskin, Founder, ISKIN Contemporary Jewelry!



Photo courtesy of ISKIN contemporary jewelry


When did you realize you wanted to become a jewelry designer?
Since I was a child, I always had a love for jewelry. What fascinates me is the possibility to express myself through art and design. I always created accessories, and so it was natural for me to study Industrial Design. My studies and passion are seen in the jewelry creations made for ISKIN today.  

How long have you worked as a designer?
I have worked as a designer for just under fifteen years after graduating from college in 2001.

Where do you get your inspiration?
My inspiration can come from anything. Whether that is the memory from my childhood, a smile, a child’s gaze, the simple in the complex, the collective dreams, nature, and love.  





Photo courtesy of ISKIN contemporary jewelry


Describe the general process you go through to design and realize a piece of jewelry.
I have a little sketch book with ideas that I take with me wherever I go. I like to experiment with different materials and techniques. When I chose one of the ideas that I like the best, I begin to make prototypes and models, and adjust them until I'm satisfied with the result. Once it's ready, I launch the production of the new piece, together with photographs, and marketing materials.

How long does it usually take you to construct a piece?
It depends on the piece of jewelry. It can take one full day or a couple of months of development. 

Who are some of your favorite designers?
My favorite designers are Issey Miyake, Martin Margiela, Yohji Yamamoto, Santiago Calatrava, Oscar Niemeyer, Campana Brothers and Droog.

Photo courtesy of ISKIN contemporary jewelry


What are some of your favorite clothing stores/catalogs/websites?
My favorite clothing stores/catalogs and websites are Issey Miyake, Maison Martin Margiela and Marimekko.

What are some of your fashion goals?
My overall fashion goal is to be unique and bold, don't follow a trend. Be your own trend. 


Finally, What does fashion mean to you?
Fashion means a way to express your ideas and feel good about yourself.

I would like to thank Karina Iskin for the exclusive interview.
Check out more from Iskin Contemporary Jewelry at http://www.iskinjewelry.com/
Twitter - https://twitter.com/iskinjewelry
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/iskinjewels
Instagram - http://instagram.com/iskinjewelry

Comments