Heavy on Fashion talks to Nataly Aponte


Hello all my fashion diva and gurus! You love jewlery...I love jewlery. I am happy to bring to you a fantastic Brooklyn based jewelry designers and craftswomen, Nataly Aponte. Nataly is launching her next collection: The Matchstick Collection. The Matchstick Collection is her largest, and also most varied with uses of fine metals such as yellow gold, sterling silver, and citrine, as well as gems such as garnet, rubilitie, topaz, and more. Here is a look at Nataly's latest collection and How Ms. Aponte started as a jewelry designer

Here is Heavy on Fashion talks to Nataly Aponte!


Photos Courtesy of Nataly Aponte

Heavy on Fashion:  Where are you from? 

Nataly Aponte: I'm from NY. Born in the Bronx and my family moved to Larchmont when I was 5 years old.

Heavy On Fashion: Describe the general process you go through to design and realize a piece of jewelry.

Nataly Aponte: I'm usually inspired by a gemstone, color, pattern, or material. Sometimes furniture or a well styled interior. Simple shapes and nature can get my wheels turning. I also have a passion for ribbon and knotting. Most of my larger pieces start there.

Heavy On Fashion: How would you define your city's jewelry?

Nataly Aponte: NY is edgy and modern. There is constant reinvention. Materials are always being pushed to the limit. Each designer can have their own take on materials. You can walk around all day and see variations of one common denominator. I love seeing an interesting piece of jewelry on someone and wonder, who made that?

Photos Courtesy of Nataly Aponte


Heavy On Fashion: When did you realize you wanted to become a jewelry designer? 

Nataly Aponte: At a very young age. I began making those colored woven plastic string bracelets they teach you in camp and never stopped making and creating since then. My aunt gave me a box of leather swatches she had from a shoe designer she worked for. I loved the leather, texture, and colors so much I decided to make earrings out of them. I folded, cut, glued, and jeweled them up in my grandmothers house and gifted them for Christmas. This box traveled with me for years up until art school. It became my palette until all the scraps were gone. My aunt still has her earrings!



Heavy On Fashion: What are some of your proudest accomplishments as a designer? 

Nataly Aponte: When I run into someone who's wearing one of my pieces and I cannot stop starring at how great it looks on them. Part of me adorns them. That's a huge feeling.

Heavy On Fashion: How would you define your personal style? 

Nataly Aponte: Eccentric, eclectic, vintage meets modern. I'm pretty glamorous!






Heavy On Fashion: What's your favorite part about conceptualizing a design? 

Nataly Aponte: When I have one idea for a piece and I can instantly see other variations unfold. Its all there, I just have to quickly get moving with a raging fire!

Heavy On Fashion: What do you hope to have achieved in the industry, 10 years from now? 

Nataly Aponte: Nataly Aponte=matchsticks! The girl who creates fire and then some...


Heavy On Fashion: What does fashion mean to you? 

Nataly Aponte: Your own style, periods that inspire you, colors and materials that resonate with you, things you feel good in. Not what's trending, that's kinda like following a seasonal look book. Unless you're into the trend but always try and put your own stamp on it. Mix it your way! In a city where black is a staple, you can be in head to toe black but its the accessories that truly define you.

Check out more from Nataly Aponte at http://natalyaponte.com/
and on 

I would like to thank Nataly for doing this interview

Until Next time
Live,Style,Write
Malanb

Comments